Friday, January 8, 2010

Mrs. DeYoung's New Year's Resolution

Many people resolve to make changes and improve their lives in the new year. As we have returned to school after winter break, I am reconsidering how I hope to improve the lives and skills of my students in 2010. They will be expected to perform at a higher level this coming semester than last and I need to figure out how to help them meet that goal.

For example, just this afternoon, a sixth grade teacher came to me asking if I would assist one of our students with his persuasive essay. It is an assignment that prepares students for the upcoming ISAT exam. As I looked over the graphic organizer that the sixth grade team provides for students and began to instruct the particular student and other members of his language small group, I realized that they were not able to complete the activity for numerous reasons. First of all, the level of critical thinking and interpretation required to pass the sixth grade Illinois writing assessment is above the developmental level of a typical eleven-year-old. Students are rarely exposed to the type of expository text that they are being asked to produce. Sixth graders generally do not read extended persuasive articles like those found in letters to the editor or scholarly journals. Also, most adults (myself included), do not use the style of writing that is expected on the Illinois achievement test. In this blog I have hardly begun to provide the thesis statement, evidence, transition statements, or interpretation outlined in the expository writing rubric for middle school students. I wouldn't score well on the ISAT.

Before mid-March, Lakeview speech and language groups may get the opportunity to "grade" Mrs. DeYoung's blog according to the Illinois standards. In the meantime, they will be reading examples of expository writing that approach the standards, practice elaborating and forming meaningful associations, list reasons, benefits, or advantages, brain storm types of evidence, and be encouraged to interpret or explain how the evidence supports their reasons. They will present their opinions orally and in writing. Some of the children may not "meet standards," but all of us (myself included) will make progress and improve our reasoning and writing skills. I will have met my annual New Year's resolution.